Monday, May 10, 2010

Number the Stars

by Lois Lowry

This will be my last student book of the school year.  I have plans to read many others this summer and post them as I finish.  This book takes place during World War II and the Holocaust.  It is set in Denmark and explores the lives of two families, one Jewish and the other Danish.  Three young girls must grow up quickly as their families deal with the negative effects of the Holocaust.  Many sacrifices are made and secrets kept as safety from the many Nazi soldiers is sought out.  I remember reading this for class and enjoyed it then.  This is a quick read with short chapters and went along very nicely with our WW II Social Studies unit this spring.  It is a bit suspenseful at times, however, Lois Lowry did an accurate job of portraying the struggles of the innocent involved during WW II.

No comments:

Post a Comment